This page provides information about the personal information we collect and the ways in which we use it. The people involved in managing this journal aim to be compliant with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
This journal’s editorial team uses this data to guide its work in publishing and improving this journal. The data will not be sold by this journal or the developer nor will it be used for purposes other than those stated here. If you have any requests concerning your personal information or any queries with regard to these practices please contact us.
Who we are
How we collect your personal data
Visiting this website
When you visit this website for informational reasons (without registering an account) we automatically collect the following information:
- IP Address
- Number of visits
- Geo-location data (City level only)
- Length of time spent on website
- Pages clicked on
- Your device type, screen resolution and browser version
- Your internet service provider
- The website from which you have been directed to our website
We use your personal data, to customise content and improve our services by analysing how you navigate our website. If you do not agree with our Policy, please do not visit this website.
Registering through this website
When you register to our website we collect the following personal data:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Mailing address (which you may willlingly enter)
- Phone Number (which you may willlingly enter)
- ORCID ID
- Your picture (which you may willlingly upload)
- Short bio (which you may willingly upload)
For statistical analyses we use web analytics services to collect information about the use of our submission site. We use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA (“Google”). On our behalf Google will use the information generated by a cookie for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website. The tools collect information such as:
- Device and browser information (operating system information, Mobile device identifier, mobile operating system, etc.)
- IP address
- Page accessed, URL click stream (the chronological order of our internet sites you visited)
- Geographic location
- Time of visit
- Referring site, application, or service
We use this information only to determine the most useful information for you and to improve our website. We do not attempt to match information collected through the use of this tool with personal data.
How we use your personal information
We process personal information collected via this website for the purposes of:
- Publish name, institution, country, ORCID ID of all authors and corresponding author's email and full mailing address with accepted manuscripts online
- Responding to your requests and enquiries
- If you are registered as a reviewer, inviting you to peer review and to manage the peer review process
- Managing the relationship with individuals who sit on our journals’ Editorial Boards
- Processing payments from you, such as article processing charges
- Inviting you to participate in surveys
- Providing information taylored to your research interests through email alerts
- User profiling
- Identify you at sign-in
- Complying with a legal obligation, or to respond to a valid legal process
Your personal data will not be disclosed to third parties. However, your personal information will be collected through the services provided by the following contractors, who assist us in providing the services we offer through the website:
Public Knowledge Project
Collected information will assist in improving and developing the publishing platform; data will be available in an anonymized and aggregated form, with appropriate exceptions such as article metrics.
Social media plug-ins
In accordance with local and international privacy laws please note that
- you have the right to be informed about the personal data we process
- you have access to your personal data at any time automatically through the submission platform
- you may request that we delete your personal data from our system
- If may request that your data be deleted from our system we will delete and/or anonymise your personal data immediately
Should you wish to exercise any of the above rights please contact us.
If you are an Author, Editor or Reviewer of an article published on our website we may retain your personal information to grant continuity to published information
We may also need to retain your personal information In case legal, audit, accounting and tax obligations demands this to us.
You maintain at all times the right to completely disallow the collection and saving of your data. To do so, please contact us or use the unsubscribe link where provided.
Securing your data
We have reasonable state of the art security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal data under our control which are stored on a secured internal server. Although we cannot guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it. Data collected through the software OJS are maintained by 4Science are stored and handled by Amazon Web Services (details availale online).
This policy has been updated on July 21, 2020 and will be reviewed should the terms indicated be subject to change.